Thursday, August 30, 2012

Gathering Inspiration From the Best of the Best


For Project 3

I am working on a project in my Storyboarding for Animatics class again, and this is going to be my final for this class. I wanted to share some of my thoughts of where I'm gathering inspiration from. I have settled on that I am going to be using two different styles throughout this scene particularly but also even more if I decide to pursue developing the entire story. This is what I have been thinking:

In my dream sequences where Eugene is going to be doing awesome, fantastic, and genius activities, it will look like this.




These are examples from the opening scene of Kung Fu Panda, I like this for the dramatic lighting and warm colors. I am thinking that I wont go as dramatic for the lighting but this is a great example of the 2 dimensional look I will be going for.  As well as the few shots bellow, these are from the short but awesome fighting scene in Horton Hears A Who, I like the way shadows are portrayed in the face and the overal design style of the characters are really fun. I hope to be able to translate a similar style out of these two examples in my dream sequence of the scene I will be storyboarding.





I really like these shadows on his face. Sorry about the weird quality of these stills, someone didn't do a very good job at it and the internet was my only source of getting them! :)



Another Thing I'm Considering:

is the colors  I have looked at other films and picked what I liked about their use of color and lighting.
Here are some examples from Toy Story 3.








 

What I like about these shots from the opening scene in Toy Story 3, is the location, because my dream scene sets place in a similar looking location I am going to take a lot of inspiration from these shots. I will be using the color palette but not as much realistic dimensions as this is. I am thinking I am going to keep it fairly simple and flat using texture in the colors to get that rocky cliff look. We'll see how it turns out! :)

Color Palettes:

I am going to use colors and lighting used from various sources but one in particular that I keep going back to is from one of my personal all time favorites, Meet the Robinsons. I really like the warm lighting used throughout the present time period sections of the movie, while the future is very white and clean looking, I really enjoy that drama that you get from a warm sun light look. Here's what I mean.


From these pictures using kuler.adobe.com, I was able to select the colors I wanted and use them in a single palette, these are some examples of colors I picked out for skin tones and the location of the gym, which is where Eugene's reality is located when he comes out of the day dream he is having.




Also to clarify, because Eugene is having a day dream it is important to make it noticeable that it wasn't real, so by doing this I am using two different styles like I said before. In the dream sequence of the scene Eugene and his surroundings will all entirely be designed in a 2D fashion, then when he is in 'reality' he is 3 dimensional and will have an appearance more along the style of Lewis here in 'Meet the Robinsons.'


Thank You All For Checking Out My Blog!!
Keep checking it out, cause I'm going to be uploading bits and pieces for this project here soon!  
















No comments:

Post a Comment